Street Food - Insects



Come to a different country and Eat some Local Food.


As part of my job working in Phuket I try to explain many things to visitors to this wonderful place with such a myriad of things to discuss.




But I cannot talk about the reality of eating bugs!

A question that I am always asked by the visitors and I have to admit that I have tried twice.



Once (about 10 years ago) at the Cape Panwa promenade when there was a temporary infestation of the Giant Water Bugs and the second time when I visited Sapan Hin market with a food critic from the United Kingdom.


 I have decided to take a fresher look at this type of dining – and the fact that the UN recently produced a report that Bugs may be our next diet.
(http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e00.htm)

Willy has the best site to outline all the different tastes that these special animals have so I would have to say that he is my mentor with this - all hail to Willy. Have a look at his post for a description of all them.


Giant Water Bugs (Mang Da Na)


Silk Worms (Nhon Mhai)


Grasshoppers (Takatan)


Mini Crickets (Jing Reed Khai)


Bamboo Worms (Rod Duan)

There are more insects but I could stay around long enough to take photographs - Crickets (Jing Reed), Red Ants and Eggs (Mod Daeng / Kai Mod Daeng), I am sure that there are more though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to write a message and reading all my text.