Teeth Braces - a fashion statement?

I am getting old.........

On one of my excursions out with my family we went to a Weekend Market in Phuket Town.

This market is only open on Saturday and Sunday evenings from about four o'clock and it is near to the Central Festival. Take the left turn (South from Central Festival) before Prompan supermarket - a good place for fresh Ciabatta bread and cheap alcohol - near Wat Naka.

This is predominantly a market for Thai people and it does not have the array of items that one would find in the street market in Patong - if you want that sort of stuff then you won't find it here.

This is a wonderful market and an amazing array of different things to see - we always buy some clothes for our daughter Jemma and she has a play on the train.

As we were allowing (encouraging) our daughter to choose some hair grips and girly bits I noticed a strange item - a piece of wire with a number of coloured flowers on it. I innocently asked Chuen (my wife) what on earth they were - they looked 'cute' and she told me that they were braces to put on your teeth and cost ten baht.

I was shocked - a fashion accessory?
As a child I was scared that I was going to have to wear braces. Ridiculous!

Later I made a silly comment on twitter and imagine my shock when I read the Bangkok Post - someone had died from having them fitted!

On Saturday there was another article published about Beauty Shops and Clinics and markets undertaking cosmetic operations!

This is Thailand - but is this the rest of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to write a message and reading all my text.