Jellyfish - what to do if?






Jellyfish are found all over the word - Thailand is not a risky place to visit.  BUT there have been a number of reports regarding some incidences of being stung by a 'box jellyfish' - the other stings can be irritating but are not normally life threatening.

IF you are stung by a jellyfish the best treatment; 
 1) wash the area with salt water (DO NOT touch)
 2) apply vinegar to the wound immediately to neutralize the venom
 3) if there is a reaction seek further medical attention

There have been three reports of fatalities from box jellyfish stings in Thailand for the period in 2007.  There have been recent reports of a Swedish girl dying from a sting but there have been subsequent reports that it was due to an allergy. Then I read that there are more incidences but not reported.




The Box Jellyfish is mostly a problem from October - May.







Symptoms:

- severe pain
- headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea
- skin swelling/wounds/redness
- difficulty breathing, swallowing and speech
- shivering, sweating
- irregular pulse/heart failure
Stings treatment:
- pour vinegar over tentacles. Urine does not work on the Box Jelly or Irukandji.
- lift off any tentacles with a stick or similar.
- use pressure-immobilisation on limbs if possible. i.e. quickly wrap a light bandage above and below the sting [if you can't get two fingers under the bandage, it's too tight].
- Immobilize/splint the stung area and keep it at heart level [gravity-neutral] if possible. Too high causes venom to travel to the heart, too low causes more swelling.
- Do not drink alcohol, or take any medicine or food.
- get medical treatment urgently or apply antivenom if available.

           
Bookmark and Share