Phuket Vegetarian Festival - Fire Walking 2015




Fire Walking and taking photographs of this was my goal. I got to the first Shrine (Kiew Tian Kengand it was not there.



I got to the second Shrine (Bang Neow) and it was not there - the Chinese Dragon Dancing looked fun though.



So I went to the third Shrine. This meant Jui Tui in Phuket Old Town - well it wasn't there either. I gave up trying to understand something and asked some people with official looking badges! They were wonderful and told me that there was going to be a parade...

Well not what I was looking for but a lot more to see. Jui Tui Shrine was full of people waiting for something.



Then the possessed seemed to come out of the shrine at an ever increasing rate. The possessed stood around the Sedan Chair in front of the Shrine.



One of the possessed - symbolising Lee Loh Chia moves to the front and then displays that he is who he is.



At the correct time the parade begins! 



I had not seen this old lady previously but I do not think that it is the first time that she is for.



This is a possessed when he took the details of a scarring from a previous day. This is where my camera started to lose out quite savagely to the iPhone....



Parade takes place through the streets of Phuket Old Town and then finish at the grass area next to the football stadium in Sapan Hin and behind the Chinese Shrine there Kiew Tian Keng Shrine.



People were lining the streets to make offerings and receive blessings from the possessed.






The firecrackers were thrown...



We walked in a big group linking arms together and we entered the football stadium, I just kept going...



The procession took us to the bed of glowing coals - the sedan and it's entourage circled them a number of times. I circled trying to get a good position and found it - then realising that I was smack in front of the media which had clearly positioned itself...



Then it began - a board was slammed into the coals and then the possessed were invited to walk across. 



Some of them did 



but others seemed to run. Then the camera settings could not take into account the low light and the fact that there was great light for some 'stadium lights'. However the iPhone was my saviour...



Still I do not feel that 'fire walking' is as impossible as it is made out to be...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to write a message and reading all my text.