Mooncakes in Phuket Town....


What are 'Mooncakes'?


Mooncake (simplified Chinese月饼traditional Chinese月餅pinyinyuè bĭng) is aChinese bakery product traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival (Zhongqiu). The festival is for lunar worship and moon watching, when mooncakes are regarded as an indispensable delicacy. Mooncakes are offered between friends or on family gatherings while celebrating the festival. The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the four most important Chinese festivals.
(text is from Wikipedia)


Wandering around in this period it was clear that it was a Chinese Holiday Season - there were Mooncakes in the shops. I wandered around and bought a selection!

The selected mooncakes were from:

The Metropole
Keng-Tin
Robinsons

Ko Hor Mooncake shop
Ko Hor Mooncake Shop was wonderful - there he was rolling, cutting, preparing, baking, glazing mooncakes - wonderful. This was certainly a special place to visit (but what does he bake the rest of the year)!?

I will visit again at the end of the month to see what else he is preparing in his obviously well functioning oven.

He was rolling the dense pastry and then filling it with a 'filling' - be it mixed fruit, Durian Paste, Watermelon - the number of types were tremendous

I took a slice of each one and had a bite....

I am sorry but - no thank you. The pastry was dense and also a little sweet - with some hot thick gravy I would imagine that these were very edible but they weren't.

Then the fillings of each one seemed to taste less of what I had thought that the filling was supposed to be... not a good experience with any of the mooncakes!

Swensens
Then I had a Mooncake from Swensens and it was not for my palate either - spent the next day in bed so I guess that mooncakes do not 'agree' with me.

So the winner was Ko Hor Mooncake shop because I could watch whilst he makes them.

Thank you.

View Mooncake Investigation in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. I love mooncakes! I like the red date or pineapple ones from Kengtins and the Black sesame from S&P bakery. S&P once did low sugar apple and cranberry - they were delicious but haven't got them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn - next time I will take you with me - I will buy them and them you can taste them. I did love Ko Hor making his mooncakes - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for choosing to write a message and reading all my text.